What is on your travel bucket-list? If your goal is to travel more, you will add more destinations to your list. When the editors of the website Big 7 Travel announced the top 50 destinations on their bucket list, we didn’t stop and checked off the boxes.
To determine the top bucket list destinations around the globe, the website polled its 1.5 million strong social audience. This is the first time that the site has assembled such a list, according to Sarah Clayton-Lea (head of content at Big 7 Travel). Clayton-Lea says that bucket list travel is a popular trend that was repeatedly mentioned in past surveys asking readers what kind of travel content they enjoyed most. “So, we decided to find out which destinations people dream about for 2019/2020.
READ OTHER: “Why Iceland Should Be Skipped and These 9 Under-the Radar Places”
These are some of the most stunning places in the world, according to the top 50 bucket-list destinations. Clayton-Lea says that white sandy beaches remain a must-visit, while vibrant cities are also appearing on many people’s bucket list. The top five destinations were those with beautiful landscapes and famous landmarks. 22% had white sandy beaches while 52% had iconic cities.
The Bo Kaap neighborhood in Cape Town, South Africa is famous for its colorful murals.
Big 7 Travel discovered that 33% of people search for vacation destinations via Instagram. Clayton-Lea says that with over a third of our readers using Instagram to find inspiration for their travels, it is natural that cities with vibrant neighborhoods (like Cape Town’s Bo Kaap), made it onto the list.
The 50 most visited bucket list destinations on Earth included Bali. But there were some surprises. Clayton-Lea says that while the top 10 list includes many of the most popular dream destinations, there are also some surprises such as Paro Valley in Bhutan or Virunga National park in the Congo. “I believe this shows a great desire to get off the grid. I can only assume that social networking (and Netflix in the case Virunga) is responsible for this!” These amazing places are being spread by social media.
A surprising fact was discovered in the study. Most people have a bucket list of only 11 places and hope to visit seven of them during their lifetime. No matter what number of places you have on your bucket list this ranking will help you to dream of visiting places close by. See the Top 50 Destinations in the World and the Big 7 Travel’s thoughts on each one.
One of Bali’s most Instagrammed swings offers a view of the jungle.
- Bali, Indonesia: “You will find beaches, volcanoes, Komodo dragons, Komodo dragons, and jungles that shelter elephants, orangutans, and tigers. Basically, it’s paradise. Because Bali is such a top-of-the-line destination on your bucket list for 2019, it’s not surprising that you have seen images of Bali on social media at least once in the last seven days.
- New Orleans: This vibrant city is known for its street music and festive atmosphere. It’s also home to a variety of American, African, and French cultures. NOLA is an adventure-filled city that should be visited by everyone.
- Kerry, Ireland: Kerry is one of Ireland’s most picturesque counties. Kerry’s coasts, mountains, and lakes are picture-perfect. This is before you include Killarney National Park. Its charm is enhanced by the unique small towns like Dingle.
El Badi Palace, Marrakech medina
- Marrakesh (Morocco): “This walled ancient city is home to mosques, palaces, and lush gardens. The city’s brick walls are what give it its name, “The Red City”. The medina is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
- Sydney: Sydney is one of the most famous and iconic cities in the world. There are many amazing things to do in Sydney. You can find beautiful beaches, wonderful cafes, and world-class entertainment wherever you go.
- The Maldives: This tropical nation is located in the Indian Ocean and is composed of over 1,000 coral islands. You will find some of the most luxurious resorts in the world, including white sandy beaches, restaurants, and underwater villas.
- Paris, France: Paris is a top-rated tourist destination. Here you’ll find many iconic landmarks: the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe as well as Notre Dame cathedral. The list goes on.
- Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Town is a wonderful place to visit. It offers endless natural beauty, clifftop views and pastel pink neighborhoods, and turquoise water.
- Dubai, U.A.E. Dubai, U.A.E.
Sunset in Bora Bora (French Polynesia).
- Bora Bora (French Polynesia): Bora Bora is Tahiti’s most well-known island. What do you think of underwater adventures and overwater bungalows? It’s all we could ask for in a bucket-list destination.
- New York: New York is America’s most exciting state. You will find beautiful upstate scenery, great cuisine and culture, and plenty to do that you won’t be able to fit into one lifetime. Each of the five boroughs in the city has its own unique features, making it difficult to narrow down.
- Dubrovnik (Croatia): “Those who seek paradise on Earth should visit Dubrovnik.” It’s easy to see why Dubrovnik is so popular with its narrow streets, cliffside bars, and UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Old Town.