Are you waiting for a package to arrive? Have you been anxiously checking the status of your delivery every day? Good news – USPS Tracking Numbers can help. This blog post will tell you all about tracking numbers and how they can help keep tabs on your packages.
What is a USPS Tracking Number?
A USPS tracking number is a unique 20-22 digit number assigned to a package when shipped. It is used to locate and track the item, allowing the sender and recipient to know its exact location at all times.
Using the tracking number, you can:
- Track the package’s location and estimated delivery time
- Determine if a package has been delivered
- Find out if a package has been delayed or lost
- Resolve delivery problems
- View shipping history
- Receive notifications of delivery status changes
How to Find Your USPS Tracking Number
- Check your sales receipt or eReceipt
- Check your mailing receipt or online label record
- Call customer service at 1-800-222-1811
- Ask the sender of the package for the tracking number.
How to Track Your Shipment with a USPS Tracking Number
- Call 1-800-222-1811, 1-800-275-8777 or 1-800-ASK-USPS to track your package.
- Enter your USPS tracking number into the search box of USPS.com.
- Check the shipping progress online, by phone, or by text.
- Get notifications when your package is delivered.
- Check for any delivery exceptions or delays.
- Track international shipments.
- The track returned packages.
How to Use USPS Tracking for International Shipments
- Check your customs form and make sure it has the correct tracking number.
- Ensure you have filled out all necessary paperwork for the country you’re shipping to, including customs forms and import taxes.
- Use USPS Tracking to monitor the progress of your package and when it reaches the destination country, check your local postal service’s website for more detailed tracking information.
- If you’re expecting an international shipment, look for any additional import fees or taxes your package may incur in the destination country.
- Be aware that international packages may be subject to more delays due to customs inspections or other factors, so use USPS Tracking to stay updated on your package’s progress.
- If you have questions about international shipments, contact your local USPS office or a customer service representative via phone or email for assistance.
How to Use USPS Tracking for Returned Shipments
Returning a shipment via USPS can be a convenient and cost-effective solution. You can use the USPS tracking number to ensure the shipment is delivered back to its destination. Here are a few tips for USPS tracking for returned shipments:
- Make sure to include a return address on the package. This will help ensure that the shipment is returned to you if it does not reach its intended destination.
- Include a note inside the package with your contact information and instructions for how you would like the package to be handled. This will help make sure that your shipment is handled correctly.
- Track your package regularly to be aware of any delays or issues with delivery.
- If you need to return multiple packages, consider using a bulk shipping service such as USPS Media Mail or USPS Flat Rate Shipping. These services offer discounted rates and convenient tracking options.
- Contact your local post office if there are any issues with your shipment. They will be able to provide additional information and assistance.
Common USPS Tracking Number Errors & Solutions
Common USPS Tracking Number Errors & Solutions
- The tracking number is missing or invalid: If you cannot find your tracking number, contact the sender and ask them to provide it. You can contact USPS customer service if the tracking number is invalid.
- The package was mislabeled: If the label on your package needs to be corrected or completed, contact USPS customer service for assistance.
- The package was damaged in transit: Contact USPS customer service to resolve this issue.
- The package was delivered to the wrong address: Contact USPS customer service to resolve this issue.
- The package was stolen or lost in transit: Contact USPS customer service to resolve this issue.
What Does “Delivered” Mean in a USPS Tracking Update?
- When you see the “Delivered” status in your USPS tracking updates, your package has been delivered to its final destination.
- This can mean that the package was delivered directly to the recipient or that the package was left at a secure location designated by the recipient.
- The “Delivered” status will also appear if the package was delivered to a post office or other designated pickup location.
- It’s important to note that USPS does not guarantee exact delivery times, so a package can be delivered earlier or later than expected.
- In some cases, packages may be delayed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- If you have concerns about delayed delivery, you can check with your local USPS office for more information.
What Does “Exception” Mean in a USPS Tracking Update?
- An “exception” in a USPS tracking update means that something has happened to delay your shipment. This can include anything from an incorrect address to weather-related issues.
- When an exception occurs, USPS will typically contact the sender and/or recipient to get more information about the package.
- If you are the sender or recipient of a package with an exception, you must respond promptly to requests for additional information. This will help ensure that your package is delivered as quickly as possible.
- If the package is delayed due to an exception, the expected delivery date may change depending on how long it takes USPS to resolve the issue.
- If you need help resolving an exception for your USPS shipment, contact USPS customer service at 1-800-222-1811 for more information.
How to Use USPS Tracking to Resolve Delivery Problems
- Contact your local Post Office: If your package still needs to be delivered, contact the local Post Office and ask them to search for the package.
- Contact the sender: If you cannot locate the package, contact the sender and ask them if they can look into it.
- Call USPS customer service: You can call USPS customer service at 1-800-222-1811 and provide them with your tracking number to check for more information about the delivery status of your package.
- Submit a missing mail search request: You can submit a missing mail search request online or by calling 1-800-275-8777. USPS will look into it and provide you with an update on the status of your package.
- File an insurance claim: If your package is insured, you can file an insurance claim to get compensation for the loss or damage of your package.
Tips for Ensuring Accurate USPS Tracking Updates
- Ensure to adequately address the package, including the recipient’s full name and address.
- Include a tracking number for each package to monitor its progress.
- Double-check the tracking number for accuracy before shipments go out.
- Keep an eye on your packages during transit, especially if they’re crossing international borders.
- Contact USPS customer service if you have any questions or concerns about your shipment.
- Be mindful of weather or other environmental conditions that delay packages or affect delivery accuracy.
- Take advantage of online USPS tracking tools to monitor your packages in real-time.
This guide has helped you understand how USPS tracking numbers work and what they can do for you. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below. As always, thank you for choosing PostScan Mail as your postal service provider!