This font format is important for web design.
Web Open Font Format is a file format that Mozilla uses to create web fonts. A WOFF file can include OTF files and compressed , as well as other metadata. This is what you need to know regarding WOFF.
This article is applicable to WOFF files and WOFF2 files.
What is a WOFF file?
WOFF files are similar to ZIP files. They act as containers for files such as TrueType Font (TTF), and OpenType Font(OTF) files. These files allow web designers to use fonts other than the ones found on most computers.
WOFF2 has replaced WOFF. WOFF2 has even better compression algorithms which reduce the original size of the file by 30%. WOFF2 files are smaller bandwidth, and load faster. WOFF files are labeled with the extension “woff”, while WOFF2 files are labeled with the extension “woff2”.
What is the Work of WOFF Files?
Cascading Style Sheets are used by almost all web pages to determine the layout of and other elements. CCS can be used by developers to modify web fonts, referencing fonts already installed on the user’s computer. If your browser or PC doesn’t support the font, it may not load or appear differently depending on how the font stack is configured.
This can be avoided by saving custom fonts in a WOFF (Word On File) file. The file is stored on a server along with all other elements of the web page. Designers can reference the WOFF file using the @font_face CSS property and then render the font in their browser.
Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera support WOFF formats. However, you might need to upgrade your web browser to the most recent version.
WOFF files offer many benefits, including broadening the range of fonts available to web developers. Here are some examples:
- Compression – WOFF files load faster because they are compressed.
- HTML and HTML Support: WOFF files are not like image files. They can be styled with HTML or CSS.
- SEO WOFF fonts work better than images of text for search engine optimisation (SEO).
- Optimized rendering – WOFF files contain typographical information, including old-style figures and contextual forms. This allows for optimal rendering on all devices.
- Website accessibility Using WOFF files makes sites easier to navigate, since text can be spoken aloud while images cannot.
- Embedding WOFF fonts allow you to embed fonts that contain characters from other languages.
Make Your Own WOFF Fonts
Font editors such as FontForge let you create your own font sets, and then export them to WOFF files. FontForge can also be used to convert WOFF files to OTF or TTF files. You can also use the Sfnt2woff tool if you have another font editor that supports OTF or TTF.